In an effort to improve support and care for older adults and their caregivers, the Aging Services Council has a number of ongoing initiatives. We additionally select special projects anually based on identified gaps and needs.
NEIGHBORHOOD AMBASSADOR PROGRAM
The Neighborhood Ambassador program seeks to distribute reliable, timely information about aging issues and resources through a network of community members interested in helping their older adult neighbors.
In an effort to increase awareness of issues related to aging and caregiving in our community, council members are available to speak in the community. If you would like a speaker to present for your group, business or faith based organization, please contact us.
PROFESSIONAL EDUCATION COMMITTEE
In conjunction with the University of Texas Grace Program, the Aging Services Council coordinates an annual symposium in April for aging services professionals in Central Texas. The symposium addresses aspects of supporting the elderly and/or their caregivers, and offers Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to professionals from a variety of disciplines such as social work, nursing, case management, etc.
The Aging Services Council seeks to impact policy that impacts older adults and their caregivers.
- Outreach and education to local/state/federal officials
- Collaboration with regional commissions/committees related to aging
- Acting as a Speakers Bureau - availability to make presentations on senior issues
For 2017, the council has identified 3 focus areas/projects:
- Social isolation- What is currently being provided to address social isolation? What are some new interventions to address the issue?
- Cultural competency- How do we best serve the diversity of older adults in our community? What barriers are in the way and how can we eliminate them?
- Outreach kits- assembling materials and items for outreach kits to share with older adults in the community. Will contain informational materials but also concrete items such as nonskid socks, medication minders and nightlights.
If you are interested in helping or being involved with these projects in any way, please contact Amy Temperley at firstname.lastname@example.org.